- Chairman's Messages
- Yoshimitsu Kobayashi (2015-)
- Statement by Yoshimitsu Kobayashi, Chairman of Keizai Doyukai On Outcome of G7 Summit in Taormina
Statement by Yoshimitsu Kobayashi, Chairman of Keizai Doyukai
On Outcome of G7 Summit in Taormina
May 27, 2017
Chairman, Keizai Doyukai
- During the G7 summit this year, U.S. President Trump and other leaders reportedly divided over the issues of trade, climate change, and immigration. At the end of the day, however, "commitment to fight protectionism" was incorporated in the "G7 Leaders' Communiqué" and they reached an agreement to some extent. We welcome the solidarity affirmed by the advanced nations sharing the fundamental values.
- Above all, there was a substantial achievement in the agenda of national security and we recognize its significance. The leaders united to defeat terrorism and violent extremism and also agreed to the stipulation to address the North Korea issue, Japan's immediate threat, as a top priority of the international society.
- An increase of global trend remains intact toward anti-globalism and national interest first policy. Against this backdrop, we expect our government to demonstrate leadership for multilateral partnership in the initiatives such as persuading the U.S. to remain in the "Paris Agreement." It is for the purpose of promoting free trade and achieving SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) including that of climate change on the basis of our trust relationship fostered with peer nations.