Statement by Kengo Sakurada, Chairman of Keizai Doyukai on State of Emergency to be Declared over Corona Crisis
April 6, 2020
Chairman, Keizai Doyukai
- Prime Minister Abe has announced today that he will declare a state of emergency over the coronavirus pandemic. We support his decision as people's lives are at risk amid the grave concerns about the explosive spread of the new coronavirus and a resultant medical system breakdown. All parties including individuals and businesses must act appropriately in compliance with requests and instructions from the government and the municipalities, and work together to overcome this national crisis.
- There is a concern among the public that the declaration of a state of emergency may disrupt city functions. Thus, we request the government to elaborate on the objectives of the declaration to the public, while doing its utmost to address the concern with measures as follows:
- Concrete instructions and measures to enable business continuity of companies, engaged with production/transportation of consumer staples and maintenance of the urban infrastructure
- Transparent guidelines to assist individuals and businesses affected by the extended suspension of operations. A system is essential to expedite provision of relevant subsidies.
- Continuous dissemination of relevant information by the government and the municipalities
- Swift reinforcement of frontline medical services and maintenance of sustainable medical infrastructure.
- Business organizations are to be committed to acting, based on their social responsibilities, for 1) business continuity required to keep their social/economic activities rolling, 2) efforts to maintain employment, and 3) providing their employees as well as their families with messages seeking appropriate action. Keizai Doyukai is determined to ensure that its members and their organizations will abide by such responsibilities for action, while endeavoring to collect and disseminate relevant essential information.